There are more single adults in the United States than married adults. It should be simple to find the special someone with so many choices. Right? If you’re reading this blog, it might mean you’re finding the search difficult. It’s not just you. Probably one of the nicest women I know has similar problems. She’s even written a blog about her most recent dating experiences.
Another friend always has a new romantic development whenever I visit. Usually, she’s thinking aloud if she should continue to see the guy she’s currently seeing. I’m quick to point out if she’s wondering then she already knows the answer. How do you really know if a man is worth keeping? Here’s my perfect 21 ways.
(For my male readers, I think this list can work for women too. Reverse the pronouns and you're good.)
1. He doesn’t borrow money from you even if he pays it back. Boys can’t manage their finances. Adult men can.
2. He pays attention to you all the time. You never wonder if he’s listening to you. He’s able to get you the perfect gift because he notices what you like.
3. He not only can carry on a conversation, but also can raise thought-provoking points.
4. He reads something other than the TV Guide.
5. Good surprises include him cooking dinner, watching your pet when you’re gone, or love notes hidden in unexpected places.
6. He’d rather be beside you than anywhere else.
7. He doesn’t make plans without consulting you since you’ll be a part of them.
8. Even if you’re wearing sweats and no makeup, he still thinks you’re beautiful.
9. He doesn’t have the need to flirt with the server, the hostess, or any other women.
10. Not too surprising, he has no need to lie because he’s not a cheater.
11. He not only asks about your day, but also is supportive in your ventures.
12. He gets along with your friends and family. This is a dedicated effort because a few of them are very nosy and abrupt. Another couple are just weird, but they’re your family.
13. There is a feeling of comfort and safety with him. No ‘I wanna be a racecar driver driving’ that has your heart racing along with the speedometer imaging certain death. He never threatens your stability physically or emotionally.
14. He has a sense of humor, can laugh at himself, and is able to make you laugh.
15. He’s not into game playing and never makes you cry.
16. He’ll eat the broken cookie, leaving the whole one for you. It’s the same thing you did for previous boyfriends who never even noticed. He’s all about the little thoughtful things.
17. He has wonderful manners. (Disclaimer: Opening the car door is followed by a request for rent money because he’s short this month doesn’t count. This is textbook example of being played.)
18. You truly like him and being around him. It seems somehow easier to love people than like them. Consider how many past relationships, you loved the guy, but in the end didn’t like being around him. There is some truth about being friends first. It’s also the reason you are never really friends after you break up because you never were to begin with.
19. He has no issue saying he loves you, but you already knew that.
20. You can trust him. He never makes promises he can’t keep.
21. He makes you feel like a woman, as opposed to his mother, or one of the guys.
You noticed I didn’t mention being 6’ tall or thick, luxurious hair. Often six-pack abs don’t come with excellent conversation. My sister believes that movie-star handsome men don’t have to be faithful because there’s always another woman waiting.
Is your fellow not a keeper? Then stop wasting time your time trying to transform him into what he’s not.
My second friend who kept dating good looking ‘boys’ finally met an excellent man. Ironically, people kept trying to match them up for the last year. She kept refusing the fix-ups because she thought he wasn’t her type. Her surprise came when she discovered what she thought was her type wasn’t what she really needed.
Normally, I’d say with a checklist that it’s not possible to have all these traits, but this time it is possible. The list is the traits of a stable man who has his act together. It is also the sign of a man in love. You may not see all these characteristics immediately because the relationship has to progress before you notice them.
If you already have a man who exemplifies these, then you are blessed. Don’t make the mistake so many do thinking there’s someone even better around the corner. They take off chasing an attractive shadow only to find it gone along with the man they left behind.